Wednesday, 13 March 2013

Namesake

How The Bus Got It's Name:
My daughter's favourite soup is GG's Pea and Ham Soup.  A recipe that has been passed down from my Grandma. 
And the colour is pretty similar to the bus.
I seem to remember my Granparents telling us that they had a VW bus at one point.  Was it even the same colour as ours?  I'm going to have to verify this story!
Recipe for GG's Pea Soup:
Ingredients:
1 cup chopped onion
2 tsp Olive oil
2 cups of split peas, yellow or green
8 cups water or stock
1 small bay leaf
1 cup cooked ham
2/3 cup diced carrots
1 medium diced, and peeled potato
1 clove garlic
salt, pepper
milk/cream
Worcestershire sauce

In a large soup pot, saute 1 cup diced onion on medium low in 2 tsp olive oil for 2 minutes.  Add 2 cups split peas, 8 cups water or stock (I use stock, usually veg), 1 small bay leaf.
Simmer for 1 1/2 hours stirring occasionally.
Remove Bay Leaf and using a whisk (I use electric soup blender thingy- hand held) blend to desired consistancy.
Add 1 cup diced, cooked ham, 2/3 cup carrots, 1 medium diced potato, 1 clove minced garlic, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper.  Simmer 45 min until vegetables are tender.
Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and heavy cream. (Grandma doesn't use this, and I use a bit of milk) 
Serves 6-8
Unless you double everything up like I do so that there is enough for leftovers AND packed lunches.

(I always do my cooking with a bit of "whatever" attitude towards measuring and this has always turned out delicious.)


2 comments:

  1. Hey Kate, yes indeed, we did have a vw bus. I dont remember much about it but I know they have some stories. I think it was green but coulda been orange. or blue. I have no clue
    (Maybe I should re-write this as a poem)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was green!

    ReplyDelete